Za Zemiata – Friends Of The Earth Bulgaria is recruiting a new team member of the Energy And Climate Team
Za Zemiata (For the Earth) is a Bulgarian environmental non-governmental organization, registered in 1995 and determined to work for sustainable life on our planet and to combat exploitation of people and nature. Za Zemiata strives for an outward-oriented policy and activities, carried out in co-operation with volunteers and other Bulgarian NGOs. Za Zemiata is the Bulgarian representative organization of the networks Friends of the Earth Europe and CAN Europe (Climate Action Network), the Central – and Eastern European Bankwatch Network, the International Energy Brigades, and a member of GAIA (Global Alliance for Incineration Alternatives) and SEEEN (South Eastern Europe Environmental NGO) networks.
We currently put a lot of effort into developing an alternative energy strategy for Bulgaria which lays stress on the promotion of energy efficiency and renewable energy sources as an alternative to the electricity from coal, fossil gas and nuclear power.
We now open a position in our Energy And Climate team! If you wish to apply or forward to people you know and are suitable, here is what you need to know before sending us an application:
Main duties will include but not only:
- Mapping of energy projects in Bulgaria and the region and understanding their impacts, benefit or detriment to the energy transition process;
- Gathering, understanding and communicating relevant policy (and sometimes scientific) developments to wider audiences;
- Implement and develop campaigns activities, in close cooperation with other members of the team;
- Support to the legal team;
- Develop ideas, write and/or manage reports, studies and other communication materials;
- Representation and advocacy towards EU institutions, the Bulgarian Government and Local and Regional Authorities;
- Being a public figure representing Za Zemiata’s positions, structured around relevant topics.
Work load – 100% with option for 4 days work week
Duration – Guaranteed till end of 2022, but with long term perspective, 3 month trial period
Remuneration – Competitive for the local labour market in Bulgaria
Location – Based in Bulgaria with possibilities for Home Office and travelling to Sofia / from Sofia
Level of experience – intermediate – from 3 to 5 years of experience
Work time – flexible
Work languages – English and Bulgarian
- Higher education preferably in the field of social science or environmental science;
- Good understanding of the energy sector and the scientific foundation behind the processes of climate change, as well as the water-food-energy nexus;
- Project management, media work, NGO experience and public campaigning experience is a big advantage;
- Basic knowledge of the EU institutions and processes;
- Experience in building a network of partners is a plus;
- Ready to travel (mostly locally) and willing to take training and acquire new knowledge;
- Appreciation for complex policy issues and ability to come up with ambitious positions and solutions which take an intersectional approach;
- Experience of working in a very diverse environment, where multiple perspectives need to be aligned;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Experience with verbal communication and presentations to external audiences and public media;
- Ability to set priorities, manage diverse tasks and meeting deadlines;
- Experience with working in a team, while being able to work independently;
- Driving licence Category B is an advantage.
How to apply?
Please send your (short) motivation letter and CV (in English) to email@example.com with a subject “Energy And Climate Team member”.
Closing date for applications: Friday, 14th of January
Recommendations by previous teams are welcome, but not obligatory
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted!
Interviews will take place online
Expected start date: 1st February 2022 (asap negotiable)